Wakefield Westgate Railway Station
Following an £8.1M investment, the new Wakefield Westgate station opened to the public on 22nd December 2013 creating an impressive new gateway to the city. It is also the first newly-constructed station building on the East Coast Main Line in decades.
Located off Mulberry Way as part of the Merchant Gate development, the new building has been designed to make travelling to and from Wakefield much easier and more enjoyable, with improved facilities, better accessibility and a wider choice of retailers.
It also complements the refurbished customer facilities on the northbound platform and the 900-space multi-storey car park which opened earlier in the year.
The new station improvements include:
• Improved accessibility - access between the station building and platforms 1 and 2 has been significantly improved through the introduction of the new golden footbridge and lifts
• A new Travel Centre, where customers can buy and collect your tickets, plus six self-service Fastticket machines located around the new concourse. A new Customer Information Point has also been built next to the ticket gate.
• Enhanced security - new ticket gates in the main concourse of the station to improve safety and tackle fare evasion.
• A new, bigger First Class Lounge - with complimentary Wi-Fi, drinks and refreshments. A new Standard waiting room will open early next year.
• Four new retailers - Subway, WHSmith, Greggs and Costa Coffee.
• Improved links with local transport – the Metro freecitybus will stop at the front of the station, for journeys to the bus station, Trinity Walk, Kirkgate rail station and The Hepworth Gallery. Buses run every 10/12 minutes between 07.30 to 18.40 Monday to Friday and between 0830 and 1700 Saturdays.
There is also a new drop off point, a covered taxi rank and 30 covered bike spaces at the front of the station.
The new station building is also 71% more energy efficient. This has been achieved through natural lighting and ventilation, to maximise daylight and natural heating, and a photovoltaic system on the station roof which will generate energy for the station. It has been awarded a BREEAM Excellent rating for sustainable building design.
East Coast runs 32 services each weekday from Wakefield Westgate to London. The fastest journey time is just 1 hour 46 minutes on the flagship West Riding Limited service, which leaves Wakefield at 07.13 and arrives into London King’s Cross at 8.59am.
For train times to and from Wakefield Westgate please click here