Wakefield First Board – Call for applications for new chair
Thu 01 Dec 2016
Wakefield First is a strategic Board made up of key decision makers from both the public and private sector in Wakefield district. Its core vision is to “monitor, support and drive economic growth in the Wakefield district”.
The current Chair of the Board, Paul Reid is set to step down following a three-year term of office.
As a result, Wakefield First is looking to appoint a new Chair to the board.
The Board has 13 members from the private, public, and voluntary sectors: the majority coming from the private sector, including the Chair.
The Board is encouraging applications from local business leaders with strong local and national profiles, and who are, most of all, passionate about Wakefield District and the business community.
To understand what the role entails, here is a brief overview of roles and responsibilities
Role of the board:
· Provide a focus for considering city regional, national and international issues
· Influence decision making and policy to the benefit of the Wakefield economy
· Promote the district as a place to invest
· Provide a conduit to engage with the wider business community on key issues
· To hold Wakefield Council to account focussing on local economic drivers
Role and duties of the Chair:
· The role of the Chair is to lead and manage the affairs of the Board
· The role of the Chair is to work closely with Wakefield Council’s Economic Development Service and other delivery partners
· Ensure the strategic vision is implemented
· In exercising this role the Chair has certain duties to perform:
o Chair Board meetings, chair key networking event throughout the year, represent the WEP Board as appropriate and update the Board on appropriate activities
o Ensure a full and effective Board representing all key stakeholders
Applications for this role should also be made through a letter and CV. Applications for this position are open to existing private sector board members and private sector business leaders with experience of national, regional or trade organisation involvement.
Further details on Wakefield First and the current Board members and Chair position and their roles and duties can be found on the WEP website: www.wakefieldfirst.com
Applicants are asked to respond in writing or by email via the below
Joanne Roney OBE
Chief Executive – Wakefield Council
Applications will be considered by a panel of WEP Board members and would be expected to formally take on the role in January 2017.