Tech hub to launch in Wakefield
Thu 28 Jun 2018
A new tech hub that will act as an incubator for start-ups in the creative and digital sector is set to open in Wakefield.
The Plex has been developed in a grade II-listed building on Margaret Street which was once home to the city's mayor and latterly an NHS Clinic.
Wakefield Business Centres, which also owns office complexes in Wakefield and Ossett, has restored and renovated the property.
When fully occupied there is room for 39 actual businesses employing up to 160 people.
Graham Howarth, senior partner of Wakefield Business Centres, said: "The Plex is close to Wakefield College and we hope that tech companies in the hub will harness talent graduating from there to support their own growth and job creation in the city.
"Entrepreneurs with innovative ideas will be encouraged to pitch for hot-desks, mentoring and investment and we will then match them with our tech, digital and creative tenants for mutual benefit.
"Eventually we hope to offer Digital and Creative accelerator courses in subjects such as coding and web design potentially for re-trainees."
The Plex will be officially opened on 10 July by Sir Rodney Walker.
Wakefield Business Centres acquired the Margaret Street building from Vickers Charnley, acting as brokers for South Yorkshire NHS trust.
- 14th March 19, Wakefield First launch FREE quarterly Exporting event .....
- Calling all Wakefields Tech firms!...... One week left to enter Northern Tech Awards 2019
- Award Winning actress becomes Ambassador for South Elmsall Headquartered beauty firm .....
- Eaton Smith BUSINESS OF THE MONTH AWARDS
- Better Broadband Voucher Scheme-Relaunch